Wednesday, December 30

This is one for the good days and i have it all here In red, blue, green You are my center When i spin away Out of control on videotape


(bye bye bye...time to move on) goodBYE 2009

let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

we don't have to save the world. the world is big enough to look after itself. what we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.

the fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.

human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

you live and learn. at any rate, you live
--- douglas adams
(dna)
you can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... so let's look at the bird and see what it's doing — that's what counts. I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something.

I have a friend who's an artist, and he sometimes takes a view which I don't agree with. he'll hold up a flower and say, "look how beautiful it is," and I'll agree. but then he'll say, "I, as an artist, can see how beautiful a flower is. but you, as a scientist, take it all apart and it becomes dull." I think he's kind of nutty. [...] there are all kinds of interesting questions that come from a knowledge of science, which only adds to the excitement and mystery and awe of a flower. it only adds. I don't understand how it subtracts.

I can live with doubt, and uncertainty, and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. I have approximate answers, and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I’m not absolutely sure of anything, and in many things I don’t know anything about, such as whether it means anything to ask why we’re here, and what the question might mean. I might think about a little, but if I can’t figure it out, then I go to something else. but I don’t have to know an answer. I don’t feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without having any purpose, which is the way it really is, as far as I can tell, possibly. It doesn’t frighten me.
--- richard p. feynman
(rpf)
show me the world as I'd love to see it. there was nothing to fear and nothing to doubt.
--- radiohead
(rh)

HEllo 2010 (follow the arrows, see where they take you...)

(blog title: excerpt from videotape by radiohead/in rainbows)

No comments: