Wednesday, July 8

mommes pannkakor: the best pancakes in the world!


given my questionable record with all things food and cooking, you probably won't believe me when I write this...but the fact is, I make the second best pancakes in north-western skåne and at a stretch, swedenland! my gran makes the best pancakes in the universe! she is the grand-pancake-master of all time!
so I've decided to share my gran's not-so-well-kept-"secret" pancake recipe with you all. you have to promise to try this out though!!!
before we start, make sure you have the following...

tools:
a cast iron frying pan (see pics - I have tried many different types of frying pans, but cast iron ones are the best by far)
a spatula (I prefer a metal one, but whatever works for you is fine)

ingredients (approx 7-8 pancakes):
2 eggs
5 decilitres/approx 2 cups of milk (full fat)
2 1/2 decilitres/approx 1 cup of plain flour
1 tablespoon of sugar
unsalted butter (for frying only)
  • mix the eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl and whisk for a couple of minutes
  • add some of the milk and all of the flour
  • whisk for a bit then add the rest of the milk to the batter
  • whisk whisk whisk
  • let it rest in the fridge for an hour
  • fry until golden brown (again, see pics) in a cast iron frying pan with a little bit of butter...
  • EAT and ENJOY!
pics top to bottom...
my gran's recipe in her own handwriting
my gran making pancakes, my granddad is in the background
the pancakes I made this evening (and my kettle nikki)

I know you english peeps like your pancakes with lemon and sugar, but why not try a swedish style pancake next time! may I suggest cloudberry jam,you can get it at IKEA - it's not cheap but it's sooo worth it. I haven't got any cloudberry jam at home at the moment so had vanilla ice cream and sliced banana with my pancakes instead this evening.

No comments: